Tuesday 9 April 2013

Roasters

While I don't pretend to be able to cook, I'm told I make great roast potatoes. I was making them for dinner and thought I'd share the recipe, it's a mixture between Jamie Oliver, Delia Smith and Marguerite Patten recipes, and a bit of good old motherly advice!

  1. Put the baking tray or dish in the oven to heat up, with oil or butter, and salt and pepper to season
  2. Peel and chop your potatoes, I use medium size and cut them in half once only
  3. Boil them for 10 minutes on the hob
  4. Drain and then return to the saucepan dry
  5. Add in butter/olive oil and salt, put the lid on the saucepan and shake the potatoes (I have no idea if this this does much but it seems to squish them all up and make them fluffy!)
  6. Cook in the butter for 2 minutes, stirring often and adding salt, shake them again a few times if you feel like it as the more they get bashed up at this point the fluffier they are in the end
  7. Add the potatoes to your baking tray, which should now be hot and the oil inside should sizzle when you add the potatoes
  8. Stir to coat the potatoes in the oil/butter
  9. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, turning a few times to brown all sides, until golden. I just cook them at whatever temperature I'm cooking the rest of the dinner at, but usually around 220 degrees.
Perfect!

 That's quorn fillets, butternut squash, peas, carrots and roast potoato

This is in no way a healthy recipe I use butter on the potatoes at the start and olive oil in the pan, but I use a lot of butter. You can obviously swap butter for margarine or another healthy alternative, but I doubt it will taste as good! Tom and I were both raised on margarine at home and didn't like it but didn't know there was a better option, I could never figure out as a child why toast at my Nan's tasted so much better, I thought she had special bread, now I realise it was just the real butter on it! So now we always get butter, never margarine as it's just not as good and I have never found one that even tastes remotely buttery to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment